Hope is Not a Plan
A downloadable game
Hope is not a Plan is a solo journaling game in which you will document your attempts to deliver a very complicated engineering project on time and under budget. You hope for success, but you will most likely fail, damage your reputation, and lose your job. So it goes.
A Game of Conflicting Responsibilities
Your company has entrusted you with millions of dollars of other people's money. They expect you to please the client and turn a profit at the same time. There are hundreds of reasons for it not to work out. On paper, it looks pretty straightforward. However, your client, your team, your company leadership, and your friends and family also have needs which complicate the execution of the project. You might even occasionally want to take care of yourself. Good luck!
Your character in this journaling game will never be at risk of physical harm. However, Hope is not a Plan includes themes of stress, professional disappointment, failure to meet obligations to friends and family, getting blamed for things you have no control over, and job loss.
Based on The Wretched
This game would not exist without the inspiring work of these members of the Itch.io gamedev community.
- This work is based on The Wretched, product of Chris Bissette and Loot The Room, and licensed for our use under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported license.
- It was created for the #WretchedJam, hosted by @pangalactic and @sealedlibrary
- Portions of the content are based on the Make a Wretched Game template by Litza Bronwyn, and are used with permission.
Extends the Wretched & Alone SRD
I've added two game mechanics to the base game.
- Change Requests: These contract adjustments can add or remove the tokens that show how close you are to finishing the game.
- New Game+ mode: this game is a little easier to win every time you play it. (Especially after you get promoted to Senior Project Manager.)
Custom Edition Consulting
Do you manage a PMO? Hope is not a Plan is a project failure simulation that can help train your team on appropriate status reporting and will help mitigate risks on complex projects. If you are interested in discussing a custom edition of Hope is not a Plan for project management training at your company, please select the Custom Edition Consulting option at time of purchase. The price covers an initial discovery meeting where we can discuss the project plan and scope of work for your training initiative. Full estimated cost for licensing a custom edition (digital and/or print) and any other deliverables will be provided within a week of the discovery session.
In order to download this game you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $7 USD. You will get access to the following files:
Support this game at or above a special price point to receive something exclusive.
If you're in need and can't afford a copy of the game, help yourself to a community copy of the digital zine. Every sale contributes more copies to the pool:
- PDF sales add 1 copy
- Tips in $3 increments over the asking price add 1 copy per $3